1 Angel food cake (premade or mix)
1 large box instant vanilla pudding
2 10oz. cartons of frozen sweetened strawberries
1 large carton cool whip
- Cut cake into 1-1 1/2" chunks & put on the bottom of a large glass bowl (you can actually buy glass trifle bowls with a pretty pedestal for like $10 at Walmart)
- Prepare pudding according to package directions, but add slightly more milk & a little vanilla extract.
- Pour over angel food cake pieces while pudding is still thin and runny.
- Stir strawberries in a separate bowl with a dash or 2 of almond (or rum- but I prefer almond) extract... don't leave this out... this is what makes the dessert sparkle! (not in the literal sense)
- Pour strawberry mixture over pudding.
- Finally spread cool whip over the top.
- Very important! Refrigerate ALL DAY or OVERNIGHT! It takes time for the juices to soak the cake... otherwise it's dry and just not as good!
- Sometimes when I'm feeling fancy I'll put a sprig of mint and a slice or two of strawberry on the top as garnish... sometimes I barely finish spreading the cool whip before we dig in.