9.25.2008

Isnt' it amazing

how quickly we forget God's faithfulness?

I'm going through Exodus in my devotions right now, and just wanted to share what I'm learning as I allow God to teach me what it means to live for Him and adjust to life on the mission field.

And Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which He will accomplish for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall see again no more forever. The LORD will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace." Ex.14:13-14

Moses spoke this to the people as they were leaving Egypt and being pursued by Pharoah's army. They had been in bondage in Egypt for 400 years! And just as Moses declared, God did. The Israelites safely crossed the Red Sea, as God parted the waters and made clear and safe their path. The Egyptians, however, suffered a different fate... God faithfully protected His people.

So the LORD saved Israel that day out of the hand of the Eygyptians, and Israel saw the Egyptians dead on the seashore. Thus Israel saw the great work which the LORD had done in Egypt; so the people feared the LORD, and believed the LORD and His servant Moses. Ex. 14:30-31

God had faithfully delivered His people out of bondage and from the pursuit of their enemies. He promised to lead them to the promised land, a land flowing with milk and honey. And now, after witnessing the plagues fall upon Egypt, and after having their firstborn spared by the blood of the sacrifice during the Passover, and after watching the LORD deliver them across the Red Sea and out of harms way, they feared the awesome power and might and goodness of God. And they rejoiced...

"I will sing to the LORD, for He has triumphed victoriously!" Ex.15:1

Not even two months had passed when the Israelites hit hard times... they were hungry. Yet instead of calling out to the God who had so victoriously delivered them just weeks earlier, they complained and cried out to Moses...

"Oh, that we had died by the hand of the Lord in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the pots of meat and ate bread to the full! For you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill this whole assembly with hunger." Ex. 16:3

How quick we are (or at least I am!) to forget God's faithfulness, deliverance, & provision and to long for Egypt. God offers us joy and peace in good places, and we settle for comfortable & mediocre instead. It's easy to criticize the Israelites for their lack of faith and their rebellious hearts. But that's me. I am them. Wanting to go to the promised land, but looking back at Egypt. Lord give me the strength to follow and trust you! He doesn't promise "happiness" or an "easy" life... in fact, He assures us of just the opposite ("In this world, you will have tribulation.. but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." Jesus- John 16:33) But He does promise joy to the full in this life, and eternal life after.

I have a good friend who is also a missionary. She and her husband live and minister in Peru. She sent me this song in an email yesterday, and I couldn't believe how it perfectly fit with my devotions and the things God has been teaching me. Please listen to it, and ask the Lord to show you what your "Egypt" is... what do you need to leave behind so that you can follow Him to the promised land?

Painting Pictures of Egypt- Sara Groves


Email Me!
mommychronicles(at)hotmail

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this! Good verses for me to read, tonight especially!

Anonymous said...

Standing still as a Christian is so hard to do but so essential in our walk with God. It is the greatest "advice" I always give to those in need. Thanks for sharing.

Farrah from www.wifeandmomof3.net

Anonymous said...

Just had to tell you how lovely your blog is, and how much I enjoyed my first visit here!

Wow, "stand still." What a challenge for those of us used to running like mad in all areas of our lives! Today I will meditate on those words as I try to live out God's plan for me.

Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Mahalo for your transparency. Sometimes I prefer my own comfort to Him growing my character. I like comfort! It's a struggle, a place a find myself time and again!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome - thanks for sharing! :-)

And congrats on your new site!

Lindsey

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsey - Thank you for sharing tidbits of your devotion and the Sara Groves video. It's not always easy leaving the land of familiar, but it's worth pushing through the hesitation in order to pursue God and His best for our lives.

By the way...great website! Your blog designs are cute and inviting. I've seen many of them throughout the blogosphere. :) Keep up the creative work!