11.21.2008

Structure

We are in desperate need of it! Since Anna was 3 weeks old, we have been a Babywise family- all the way. Even now, at 17 months, she wakes up, eats, naps, and goes to sleep at the same times everyday. We worked very hard in the beginning to set her on a routine, and it has been a lifesaver. But, lately, we have been slacking. Random snacking, sporadic activities and unstructured playtimes have been the rule in recent months. And I can't stand it anymore! I thrive on routine, and I know that not only does Anna need more consistency, discipline, and structure... but so do I! It's fair to say my plate is very full... with ministries, kids everywhere, my design business, learning spanish, doing my quiet times, feeding my family, sweeping and mopping daily, etc. etc. etc... And I need to have set times to do these different activities... because the most important aspects of my day, like reading the Word and sitting with the Lord, have been sorely lacking.

Tonight, in a moment of divine motivation, I rejected the desire to plop in front of the computer and watch "Mythbusters" and instead grabbed Toddlerwise off the bookshelf to refresh my memory. Just like the first time reading Babywise, the sound and logical words jumped off the page! I started writing down the discipline strategies, activity structure, and other tips given and ran to get Eric. We sat together and discussed the changes we want to make in order to regain structure and routine in our household. So tomorrow is a new day, and we begin a new routine. We need this, and I can't wait.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son needs routine as well. Knowing what comes next and what is expected of him leads to better behavior. I hope you can get back on track and feel happier and more balanced soon!

Anonymous said...

Ohh routine sounds so good, and once we had it...but after moving last winter to this house and Princess giving up on naps it all changed. It's a little better now, but it took us a while to get back to some kind of routine.

Hope everything works out :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I haven't been around the blog world in quite awhile! And yes, we are routine people too, we would really be running around crazy around here without it.

Anonymous said...

I tagged you in my blog! Go check it out!!

Anonymous said...

We did GKGW for many years!