3.05.2008

What's for Lunch?

I absolutely love making Anna's baby food from fresh fruits and veggies! For the first month, I made everything from scratch, no jars! But in the chaos of moving to another country, I fell back on the high convenience of jarred baby food... and was fortunate enough to find Gerber brand baby food at my local grocery store (the Panamanian brand looks WEIRD!)

Now that I'm settled in, I have returned to making homemade baby food! We have a freezer full of pureed carrots, broccoli (she loves it believe it or not), zucchini, green bell pepper and potato, squash, apples, etc.

Even more exciting, now that she is 8 months old (and has 6 teeth), we are moving away from creamy purees, and into chunkier purees and finger foods! Today for lunch Anna will have:



freshly prepared (I just peeled and cored the apples this morning) chunky steamed apple puree (aka- applesauce), low-fat cottage cheese, a few pieces of cheddar cheese and one cracker broken up- she may not eat it all, but at least there's some variety.

Most meals include at least one veggie- lunch today is a special exception as I introduce cottage cheese. Starting next week I will be preparing more exciting meals for dinner- such as "Tomato, Basil, and Parmesian sauce" over tiny pieces of pasta.

I have a great book filled with quick and easy (and nutritious!) recipes for baby from first foods-toddlers! Right now we are in the 6-9 month chapter, and it is full of great recipes.


Anna eats dinner between 4:15 and 4:45, right after her afternoon nap, which works great for me! I can prepare her dinner while she's sleeping, and begin preparing dinner for the rest of us after she is finished eating.

Yum yum yum!

No comments: