2.17.2008

Agua, Agua, Where Can You Be???

We are going on day number 3, in a row, of no water. The water did come on last night, so I was able to fill up the bucket. But Eric and I used up the bucket water for our "showers" this morning, and now there is nothing, nada, zippo. I have a small jug of water from the market to use for Anna's bottles, but everything else just sits. I have a full load of laundry in a washing machine that's only half full of water. I have a sink full of dirty dishes. I have a dirty floor that desperately needs to be mopped. I have a stray dog (that's another story) whose now drinking bottled water. That same stray dog needs a Benadine bath, but that's not going to happen. I haven't washed my hands in hours. It's hot and I want Anna to go for a swim but her pool is empty.

I never realized how blessed I was to have water anytime, whenever I wanted it back in the states. I can't believe that I used to hop in the shower, turn on the knob, and water would shoot out! Now, I get into the shower, stare longingly for a moment at the showerhead, send up a desperate prayer for grace from the Lord, hold my breath, and turn the knob. 90% of the time, nothing happens. If I crank both shower knobs all the way, I can sometimes get enough of a trickle to do the job. If not, there's always the trusty bucket. Unless, of course, the bucket is used up. Like right now for instance.

But praise the Lord for all the things I do have. I am learning to be thankful for everything, no matter how inconsequential it may seem. Right now, I am sitting on my couch typing on a computer with a fan blowing on me! I have a roof over my head that doesn't leak (we had a sudden downpour about 2 hours ago, so I can say confidently that my roof is reliable), and food to eat that I didn't have to go hunt or beg for. God is truly good and His provision in perfect. I mean, I don't really want to do the dishes, mop the floor, or give the dog a bath anyway!

No comments: