12.21.2006

Back in the Kitchen... but maybe not such a great idea!

For the past 4 days I have felt pretty good. I actually almost feel back to my normal self. I am on Christmas break right now and have been very busy doing all sorts of things. Today I spent the day with a co-worker and friend of mine. She scrapbooked, and I worked on a baby quilt for my brother and sister-in-law. When I got home around 5:00, Eric and I, both sick of take-out, decided to go to the grocery store. I was planning to cook my first meal in over two months! I bought tomatoes and cucumbers to soak in vinegar, rice pilaf, and a Polska Kilbasa. When I got home and began to prepare I realized that I bought the wrong kind of vinegar. Then I browned the rice and added the water and left the pan on the "High" setting on the stove as I began to cut up the meat. After about 20 minutes the whole place was filled with smoke and a horrible smell. The rice is supposed to simmer on "Low" but instead I burnt every last piece of rice. The Polska Kilbasa came out ok, but it was a weird "meat only" kind of meal. An hour later we still had to have all the windows open and fans blowing... the smell was still overwelming. It seems my hiatus from cooking has caused me to forget how! Tomorrow night I have to make chicken flautas for a pot luck... Wish me luck!!!

No comments: